Written by Kelly Cotter, Posted by Tim McCue
Happy summer everyone! If you love warm weather this weekend will be super exciting for you. This weekend there is going to be a heat wave. This means that temperatures can go as high as 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
On hot days a lot of people will be staying inside or near the water. This weekend malls and beaches will be very busy. Be aware of this and make sure to stay safe if you are going to a busy place!
Here are some tips to stay safe if you are going to be in the water this weekend
- Avoid fast moving water
- Do not do anything you are not comfortable with
- Do not let anyone force you to do anything you are not comfortable with!
- Stay near a lifeguard
- Wear a well fitted Coast Guard certified Life Jacket at all times
- Avoid really cold water
- Avoid alcohol while you are in the water
Especially this weekend, being in the sun for too long can cause a heatstroke.
These are the signs you are getting a heatstroke:
- Body Temperature higher than 104 degrees F
- Trouble speaking
- And seizures
- Skin that feels hot and dry
- Skin turning red
- Increasing heart rate
If you think you or someone around you is having a heatstroke call 911. While waiting for the medics cool the person having a heatstroke with cold towels and ice.