The Covid-19 virus has changed the daily life of every resident in Washington State and around our world. People have been told to stay home and stay healthy. This has affected the economy and how people make and spend money.
The United States Congress Passed a law called the CARES Act. This bill was passed to help Americans while Covid-19 alters our daily life. In the CARES Act a stimulus package to help the economy was included. Most people will receive a stimulus check from the government. A stimulus check is when Government funds are used to help boost the economy, in this case it is sending money to most people to help them during this time.
Here is some information to learn about the checks:
Who Will Get a Check?
- If your income is less than $75,000 per year, you are eligible
- More than $75,000, your check will be lowered or eliminated
- You must have a Social Security number
- If you are over age 16, cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s taxes.
How Much Will the Checks be For?
- $1,200 for adults
- $500 for children age 16 and under
Will people on SSI and SSDI receive a Check?
- Yes, People on SSI/SSDI are eligible to receive a check.
- If you are on SSI or have never submitted taxes you will need to provide information onto this website – https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/EconomicImpactPayment
- If you are on SSDI you will automatically receive your check.
Will it affect your benefits?
- The stimulus checks are being structured as tax refunds (even if you paid no taxes). Tax refunds do not count against food stamps, SNAP, CalFresh, Medicaid, TANF, SSI, healthcare marketplace credits, and most other government programs.
The stimulus check also will not count if it makes your bank account too high (it doesn’t count for 12 months).
When will I receive my Check?
- Checks have started to be deposited and mailedout. The government created a website to follow where your check is in the process-https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments
For more information about the Stimulus checks and Covid-19 visit the websites below: